From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2015 08:48:31 -0400
> Our psyche, our propensities help move evolution - if only as a small part of the whole picture.  I am not sure that is directing it.  It is part of evolution.

Right. The human species is the product of evolution, same as the others. Our intelligence and our ability to project goals into the future are also the result of millions of years of evolution.

However, I think most people agree we have crossed over into another realm when we have become capable of massive alterations of the environment.

Granted, you could argue it is a matter of degree, and not of kind. And I would say, you're right. We are not separate from nature, we are a part of nature.

But one could just as easily argue we have become a terrible force that is damaging vast swaths of the natural world of the planet.

Most people tend to fall into one camp or the other. It might be that both of these are true. The world is far more complex than our explanations of it.

Peter Loring Borst