From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 22:21:16 +0900
>         I've recently extracted about 70 lbs of honey.The honey is delicious
>but is very thick,it has been described by a friend as being "chewy".Is this
>acceptable ? Is there a way to add moisture to it ? Or should I just bottle it
>as is? I live in the Boston,USA area and We are experiencing a drought,which
>must be the reason for the low moisture content.If I decided to show this at a
>fair would points be taken off for the low moisture?Thanks in advance for any
>comments or suggestions.

Some honeys are naturally dense.  Provided you can get a spoon into it to
get it out of the jar - no problem.  You should not add anything to honey
for honey shows or any other purpose. Some shows have classes for various
honey types as otherwise the judges have a difficult time as density, colour
and taste are all part of the make-up of a varietal honey.   The lighter
honeys are preferred when awarding points although the darker honeys can
have more distinctive flavours.

The show guidelines may assist you to decide whether to enter but I believe
the more the public can be educated in the different types of honeys and the
variety of flavours the more they will seek out their favourites rather than
the bland blends.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island