From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:15:41 -0500
Hello All,

> Mike asked-
> " Why did the bees attack and pursue him? Why
>  did they keep attacking after he was down"

When bees sting in defense of the hive they are driven by the sent of the
venom.  A completely normal defense which God gave the honeybee.
Failure to wash past stings from a bee suit is common problem with new
beekeepers. If  the public considers a thousand stings as a huge amount.
Even a thousand stings is a small part  of the inhabitants of the hive.
Moving away from the hive is the best beekeeper defense when bees become
defensive. The mood of a hive can change quickly. Protective clothing and
smoke should always be close at hand.
  I have seen our A.mellifera at their worst. Not a pretty site even for me.
Staying to PUT the hive back together is the wrong choice. Moving away and
then returning a little later with proper gear and smoke is a better choice.
Possibly the beekeepers smoker was out and from the report he had face
stings indicating bees were inside his veil. We will never know exactly what
happened and exactly the part the bees played but the fact he had stings
indicates to me the bees played a part if only a small part. I bought a
operation years ago from a beekeepers wife. Her husband had  died among his
bees of heart failure. There was not one sting although he had laid among
the bees for hours.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri