Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:48:08 EDT
In a message dated 04/14/2000 5:46:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Breeding for this sort of tolerance of Varroa mites is a reality (see
>  Erickson et al. in American Bee Journal -Dec 1999 931-933 and ABJ 1998,
>  138:828-832; maybe try the ARS-bee lab (Tucson) website
>  http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov ).  Since 1994, they have used selective
>  breeding to develop a population of colonies that have consistently low
>  levels of infestation.  They go on to say that this sort of breeding will
>  be an integral part of the Integrated Pest Mangaement (IPM) program they
>  are developing.  I had the opportunity to spend a few days at the bee lab
>  in Tucson and work a day with the commercial beekeeper who is also an
>  author on the papers.  I was very impressed by the their work, to the point
>  that I do not believe Varroa mites will be much of a problem in the long
run.

I just got back a few hours ago from a meeting in Massachusetts where Dr.
Eirckson was one of the speakers. He in his presentation he spoke of
selective breeding and said that it is not hard to do.  You can wind up with
an acceptable mite level of 12-16 mites per 100 bees. But he also did mention
that a mite level of more than 4-5 mites per 100 will affect honey production
somewhat.

About the meeting. It was a celebration of the 100 Anniversary of the
Worcester County Beekeeper Association. My hats off to the all the people in
Massachusetts who put the program together. YOU ALL DID A FANTASTIC
JOB!!!!!!!  It was well worth the three hour ride to the meeting and I
looking forward to next years meeting.

Best Regards,
Ralph Harrison
Secretary, Western CT Beekeepers Association
Milford, CT