From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2014 09:41:01 -0400
Since Bill T brought up melting wax.....  I pack a fair bit of chunk honey
- that is pieces of comb honey in a jar of liquid honey.  I store supers of
comb honey in a chest freezer and take out frames as needed, but there is
something about the freeze/thaw cycle that accelerates the propensity of
the comb/liquid honey blend to crystallize.  I have 2 upright freezers set
up with Kelley thermostats and high watt light bulbs to liquefy extracted
honey easily, but I am looking for that 'magic temperature' at which to try
to liquefy chunk honey without ruining the comb.   Once liquefied, the comb
frequently distorts or has a water-soaked look.  The Kelley thermostats
allow very good temperature control, but need to be calibrated and
monitored with a thermometer.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

My Piedmont NC spring honey crop seems to get several millimeters lighter
in color every year in the past 40 years but is much more prone to
crystallize.

Bill Lord
beekeepingconsultingfordevelopment.com
Louisburg, NC