Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2017 10:05:56 -0400
> My questions. Given the extra large population would it be wise to
> increase the dose to 3 gr or more, or would it make no difference? Does
> missing a couple of days make as big a difference as it seems given
> emerging brood. I suppose allowing re-entry on days more than 5 could be a
> bigger factor then I thought.

The range of effectiveness of OAV with 2 deeps was 1.5 at the lowest and
less than 3gm at the highest  with about 2,25gm about optimum, but 2gm is
fine. If you have three deeps, maybe 3gm (directions call for 1gm per deep)
but I think that even here, 2gm would do it.

Your second question is one I would love to know the answer to since it is
the persistence of OA in the hive after application. It is where you get
into the different durations mentioned by those who use OAV from 2 days
apart to seven days apart and, from their reports, they all seem to do well.

I will be doing a test today to see if my 2x7 in late July worked. At that
time I had near zero mite drop after the second application.

I have heard from one beekeeper who used OAV that they picked up mites from
crashed hives in the area, so we are in that time of the mite season.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine