Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2017 09:04:01 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I have had a Broodminder scale under this hive since the early spring, and have added a medium every time the top medium got about two-thirds full The base, cypress hive stand, bottom board, inner cover and outer cover weigh about 40 lbs. Each empty, new medium with 10 frames of foundation weighs about 12 lbs. In mid-June, this hive had 9 mediums and weighed 360 lbs., or about 140 lbs. of woodenware and 220 lbs of bees, brood, nectar, honey, etc. At that point, I removed and extracted 2 mediums of fully capped honey, and that got the weight down to about 260 lbs. 

John

It appears to me your referring to total weight loss over the day which would have also included Water loss and evacuations?

Example if I look at weight from 8/14 to 8/15  I see a loss of 12lbs or so,  but that’s assumed to be the same time each day,  so it shouldn't be forager loss?  I am guessing the date shift is at midnight?   But that doesn’t make a lot of sense as the weight on 8/14 continues to climb at the date mark point??

Figuring out how much is nectar weight and how much is forager weight is a bit trickier than just  weights over 24 hours.

Your roughly 3 deeps of bees so as a guess if it was densely packed you would have about 20lbs of bees total. (2 packages per deep is a well packed hive)  so using that logic,  the hive would have to be about empty to have that many foragers at one time???

Will broodminder allow you to label times closer??

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2