From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 04:25:04 -0700
Hi all,

I thought I would share some of our observations on the use of 65% formic applied with Dri-loc 50 pads.

First of all, the Dri-loc 50 seemed to be the best value in terms of grams held and released per pad per dollar. By my measurements, the Dri-loc 50 held about 35 grams of formic acid by our method of filling a 3 and 1/2 gallon bucket with the pads vertical and adding the acid pre mixed over the pads.

Some pads I tried would be flashed out in two days. Not the Dri-loc.

The Dri-locs have a thin plastic cover with fine holes on one side which we put down. We started with one pad and put up to four pads in *stacked* to minimize the immediate flash. We did get some weather in the low 90's F and suffered damage to some hives, while others did ok. Four stacked pads is pushing the envelope, but still may be ok in cooler weather. My impression is that you must get enough on to stress the bees a bit without severe damage to the bees.

After this summer, my partner Dave and I think that multiple treatments leaning towards two stacked pads might be safer on top our our double deeps. We treat about every time we open the hives in some fashion. Varroa control is absolutely essential to success with our bees.

Dave and the boys just finished pulling honey off 5000 hives to get the treatment on ASAP and promote a healthy fall hatch of young winter bees. We lucked out with warm weather with good pollen flow. One can't overemphasize just how important good pollen flows are to the bees health. I hope our bees pass muster for Cal.

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........