From:
Bob Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:36:11 -0500
I ran over a bumblebee nest while brush hogging a field for the first time
this summer yesterday. I first became aware of the fact when something
landed on my right ear. It was so big I thought it was a grasshopper, but
before I could brush it off I felt it clamp down and I new I was in
trouble. Didn't hurt for a few seconds but in a minute or so it felt like
someone was pinching my ear with a pair of pliers!
This lasted for at least three hours.Made a sting from one of my honeybees
feel like a mosquito.
Can bumblebees sting more than once? I could not find a stinger and oddly
enough considering the amount of pain, not even an entry point for the
stinger. The bee that stung me, and I assume this fact, continued to attack
my face after stinging my ear and I was able to fend it off with my hat. It
did not appear to be injured and moved rapidly (Looked as big as a sparrow
at that point!) A Massey Ferguson tractor in low gear is not the ideal
escape vehicle from angry insects!
I went back this morning, in my bee suit by the way,and stood  near the
spot where I assumed the nest to be. I soon located it in the ground and
observed the bees for a short while. They appeared to be the yellow and
black bumblebee that I have observed on wildflowers and vitex plants lazily
gathering nectar and sometimes even snoozing on the flowers. I have even
touched them lightly without them taking any notice.
Does anyone know whether the venom of the yellow and black bumblebee has an
acidic or alkaline based sting so I know what to treat the sting with next
time. I am hoping another sting is a remote possibility as I now brush hog
in my bee suit.
Bob Young
Lindale, TX