From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:29:20 -0600
Hello Judy,Andrew & All,
Great post with useful information!
I will add a few more points on cleaning equipment with lye water. I have
received a few direct emails so will post a few comments.
Cleaning old bee equipment takes a lot of time.  Not hours but days in most
cases.  Each day you need to get the water boiling which takes a long time.
Frames don't dirty the water like other hive parts do.  All parts should be
cleaned as best you can in advance.   Once done you may wonder if the result
was worth the effort.  One deep body might take 10-15 minutes to clean
completely.   When your water gets dirty you have to rinse right away or
gunk sticks to the boxes.   Lye water is dangerous.
The only method I have done and seen done is a 55 gallon open top drum set
on blocks< 2/3 full water/ 2 to 3 cans lye put in while water is cold and
heated to boiling with a wood fire built below.   After awhile when using
the cleaning action of the lye starts slowing down usually after several
hours of cleaning equipment.   Then we open a can and toss like you would a
grenade in the drum.   Usually the water level is low so you see no reaction
at all but I have seen the water rise up and run down the sides. NEVER POUR
THE LYE IN THE BOILING WATER!  I am only telling the method.  Use at your
own risk!   If a beekeeper wants to use Lye water to clean equipment the
above is a method I have used and seen used for many years. I have never
seen or heard of a problem but I am sure there have been over the years the
method has been in use.  If you do not want to grenade the can into the drum
just let the drum cool and refill with cold water and Lye for the next day
then reheat.  You need a stick, wire basket or some way of keeping the bee
equipment under the water.  Those old boxes with ten coats of paint will
come out looking brand new when done correctly.
AFB is the main reason we use Lye water and frames are the most often done.
Beekeepers wire the frames in bunches and push below the surface in the drum
. Lifting up to check when clean.  I personally have never seen  AFB re
occur in Lye boiled frames.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri