From:
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 14:17:48 -0600
Andy wrote:

>Bees respond to all kinds of stimulus when it comes to displaying
>aggressive behavior the major one being the change in atmospheric pressures
>from storm fronts moving about. In many areas beekeepers are able to
>predict tomorrows weather change by the behavior of their bees

Andy goes on to say that this may be a reflection of floral responses.

Our electronic systems clearly demonstrate that bees know when storms are
coming - rarely do they miss in their assessments/predictions.  However,
our systems just as clearly indicate that the bees are responding to
factors other than simply changes in barometric pressure.

We can find days when the pressure drops and the bees come home.  But we
find as many or more days when the pressure is bouncing around or going up
and the bees are still racing home.  So -- like many explanations of bee
behavior, the old "atmospheric pressure" answer is not correct.  Bees may
take pressure into consideration, but other factors must be factored in by
the bees.

If you wish, start following the weather and our observation hive.  Had a
good illustration of a pressure drop, bees come home the other day - so if
you find that one day, you could argue that point.  But, look at lots of
days and make up your own mind.

Cheers

Jerry
Jerry J. Bromenshenk