From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:04:34 -0800
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Be warned push in cages do not work very well where there are small hive beetles as the cage gives them shelter from the bees in the hive.

     Mike Stoops wrote:

     I plan to use 8/inch hardware cloth to make 4" X 8" intro cages.

Warning noted.  Would only leave the cage on for about three days.  Used it last spring with notable lack of technique, expertise, and correctness.  How-some-ever, I did get better than average success with my introductions, especially with the Russians which, from what I have heard, are difficult to introduce into Italian stocked colonies.  Think it was luck more than anything else.  A few of my hives do have hive beetles but in other hives they seem noticably absent.  Haven't noticed any damage to my active hives to this point in time.  Have had damage in other hives lost to other causes.

Mike in LA