From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:51:02 -0400
Scientists identified five genes that appear to have some link to the
aggressive behavior, and one of these genes was found to have a much
greater effect on the tendency to sting. "We have also mapped genes
that affect levels of alarm pheromone," Hunt says. "All but one of
these genes are completely independent of stinging behavior."

http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/9804.Hunt.gene.html

"My lab has made the first and most comprehensive genetic maps of the
honey bee genome. We have mapped genes that influence behaviors that
are important for apiculture. The mapping of genes may help us
understand these traits and improve honey bee stocks. Successful
cloning of these genes would help to develop the honey bee as an
important model organism for behavioral genetics."

http://entm29.entm.purdue.edu/directory/entm/53.htm

"To accelerate the molecular analysis of behavior in the honey bee
(Apis mellifera), we created expressed sequence tag (EST) and cDNA
microarray resources for the bee brain. Over 20,000 cDNA clones were
partially sequenced from a normalized (and subsequently subtracted)
library generated from adult A. mellifera brains."

http://www.geneontology.org/doc/GO.biblio.html

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>