From:
"Keith G. Benson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:01:29 -0400
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:24:14 -0500 Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

following:

>When varroa mite levels are continually low >enough in the colonies one
>can discontinue treatment (once mite populations >remain below the
>economic threshold ).

The fastest way to select for these queens is to not treat.  The selective
pressures for self sufficiency are reduced with chemical support.  Of course
this also necessitates using a large number of founder colonies as most will
certainly perish, but you will likely acheive your goal that much faster.

And it will cost a fortune whether you do is slowly or rapidly.

In essence this is what Dee did.  Her colony count shrank dramatically and she
re-built from the survivors (at least that is my understanding).  Did small
cell save her bees?  Maybe, but I really think that the intense selective
pressures played the key role.

Keith "then again, what do I know" benson