From:
25 Hives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2012 11:09:48 -0800
An old gardener once told me, "Plant the seeds of your root crops in the dark of the moon."  Not sure if this was folklore, not sure whether it was true or not, I just nodded in agreement.  I'm not even sure if I know what the dark of the moon is, either.  I usually plant when the soil is dry enough to work up.

Has anyone tracked queen rearing/grafting times with the moon signs?

I've heard more swarms happen when the moon is "waxing," that is the light portion we see getting larger.  This would be the fourteen days when the new moon stage is growing into the full moon stage.

Which might lead me to ponder if more queen cells are started in the fourteen days when the full moon stage shrinks to the new moon stage when the moon is "waning."

Anything to this?  I usually raise queens when I have a couple of weeks cleared in schedule.

Grant
Jackson, MO