From:
Robert Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 00:26:03 -0600
Aaron Morris wrote:

> Eight frames works, but is only recommended in honey supers, not brood
> chambers.  Furthermore, eight frame spacing works only if the frames are
> already drawn out.  Eight frames of foundation is a sure guarantee of
> burr comb!
>
> Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

Just two comments, please.  1. Eight frames in brood chambers reduces the
available cells for raising brood by about 25%...outside frame of
honey-pollen each side, two missing frames from the 8 frames containing
brood in a 10 frame box.  Using nine frames cut this loss to about 12%,
but does leave a bit more space to minipulate frames in and out with less
chance of rolling up bees (remember bees will tend to even out the "bee
Space".  2.  If you must start foundation into 8 frames, push together,
touching, into the center of the box, and as the foundation is drawn out
level with frame edges, *then* move the frames apart.   Obviously only for
hobby beekeepers!   Best regards,     Bob Barnett