From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:18:30 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Kathy E Cox
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Can you tell me why a swarm would swarm a second time? Do I still
>stand a chance that they will swarm a third time?
I hived a swarm a few years ago and moved it to a new site. The queen
started to lay, so I felt quite happy they were staying put. A week
later, I found they had moved to a larger hive where I was temporarily
storing empty drawn comb. They reamed out the cells beautifully. Another
one that hadn't read the books - bees always stay on larvae don't they!
I had a swarm re-swarm before the larvae hatched this year. A couple of
years ago it seemed that a fair proportion of swarms re-swarmed later
once the new colony was established. I have had swarms move out of the
hive I put them into and hang a bit further away from the original hive.

I have given up putting a swarm back on its original site (one of the
standard practices - I usually do this with the swarmed stock over the
swarm) and now do the whole works - move it 3 miles or more and drop it
in front of a hive on a sheet so they have to climb in. I reckon it
makes sure they don't know the landmarks and have also done one of the
two things they normally do after first clustering. I can't simulate
flying! Scouts coming back to a hived colony may still persuade them of
a better home and they may not like the scent of the hive. One tip I
think it was either Chris Slade or Dave Cushman gave, is to use an empty
super below the hive body to give them cluster space.
--
James Kilty