From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2017 08:16:46 -0500
for what I have read, the little science done on this matter shows < than 25%

ergo from my part, I won't even try your method.

Thanks Janese,  In many things it seems like that the plan,  don't rock the boat.  But if we stuck to that forever,  you yourself would not be treating Varro.

There are many things we don't know how to do yet,  thru trial and error we improve. We learn how to do things we didn’t before.  One could go on for days with things such as that.  Why is the human nature to do things different absent in beekeeping (for the most part)  we use the same boxes and extractors and uncappers that have been around forever.
 There was great article this month in ABJ  about a guy who figured out how to cut larve loose and attach them to the bottom of a frame to make queens.   Up until that point it seems it was problematic.   Funny and odd to me how 100 years ago this business was full of innovators and explores trying new things and learning,   Now were a bunch of old timers repeating what we were told?

While there is some variation,  there is also huge resistance to change. Having a similar discussion elsewhere on handling cappings. There are some new screw presses that seem to be working great,  but despite the fact everybody hates the old methods of spin floats,  it’s a dang hard sell to get anyone to try to change.

One thing a friend mentioned hes learned from reading this thread(lots of lurkers)  "just keep quiet, the heck with them" was his comment over dinner.

Sometimes I wonder if he doesn't have a point.

Charles