From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 23:26:04 +0000
B Farmer says:

"Charlie Mraz was supposed to have bred a line of AFB resistant bees back in the 30's or 40's before they started using sulfathiazole."

Charlie Mraz bred AFB resistant bees with my grandfather, Wilburt Wahl Sr., a commercial beekeeper from the 1910's through the 1970's.
They were lifelong friends.
Charlie published some of his work (apitherapy articles and so on), but my granddad didn't.
They started the effort to breed resistance by "hiding" some of their AFB hives in the "burn yards" to see what would happen.
Some of those condemned hives just didn't die...they were "resistant".
From those resistant bees, the experiments started.

I knew Charlie when I was a child, from his many visits with his (second) wife to our apiaries during the '60s and '70s on their way to Toronto from Vermont,
through the 1000 Islands of the St. Lawrence, where we are.
The friendship went way back before my birth, back to the 1930's.
I have lots of pictures of the Mraz and Wahl families from Florida and NY during the years they had migratory operations.  (And that was before interstates!)
For the record.

Christina