From:
- Ed Levi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 21:41:25 -0400
Tom,
No, Don't re-use strips.  They are formulated with fluvalinate which migrates
to the surface.  Because there's not an eternal spring of the stuff in a
strip - they "run down".  As they lose their strength, or weaken, the mites
which survive the weaker doses are survivors which can/could breed more
survivors which can/could become able to survive a slightly stronger, used
strip. The surviving population of mites build a tolerance or resistance to
the fluvalinate.  This clearly brings us all closer to the point at which
time Apistan becomes useless in controlling Varroa.

Using chemicals in a manner which is inconsistant to its label instructions
is a short-sighted mistake which could do serious damage to the entire
industry  in terms of the value of honey, resistance, and image.  Due to the
awakening of the media, we are at a renaisance of respect for bees and,
therefore beekeepers.  We need to build on this, not tear it down.

I am not against research by beekeepers (thank you Jerry) but let's keep
research out of the production line until it's tested, proven and approved.
 Science isn't an overnight process and dreams and wishes don't always come
true.  "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."  If wishes were
cures then mites would die...so would suffering and pain but there aren't
 always answers just because you want them.  Answers needs to be searched and
researched.

Ed