From:
Dennis M Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:58:07 -0600
Hello Bee-L

Caution should be used when using common fly sprays such as "Permectrin
II" or "Absorbine Ultra Shield"on horses with beehives in the vicinity.
These types of products can enrage passing bees and result in a dangerous
stinging incident for both horse and rider.

I have kept my bees around horses for 30 years without incident. However,
a landowner began using these products daily on her favorite horse who
would be tied up in the same spot for each application. After several
days enraged bees began stinging both horse and rider and people in that
area.

The bees were located about 100 feet away behind a building which forced
them to fly 20 feet high when flying in the direction of the hitching
rack. A light honey flow was on at the time. Winds were calm.

No bees were noted during an initial inspection of the area. Neither
horses nor people were being bothered. An inspection of the bee yard
failed to yield any aggressive bees or hives. The hives were not being
harassed by skunks or wasps.

A horse was tied to the rack and not a bee appeared. After a while the
owner took the opportunity to apply the fly spray with a hand sprayer.
Within 2 minutes angry bees began to appear and instantly sting any
moving object in the immediate area. The bees would fly at full speed
headfirst into the ground where any over spray had fallen.

I again inspected the bee yard for an angry hive but the yard was calm.

I sprayed a small amount of the fly spray on a paper towel and walked
back to the bee yard. Initially the yard was a calm as before, but within
30 seconds the stinging started again. Within a minute the stinging
became quite vicious.

I have been a commercial beekeeper and have worked many yards of angry
bees. However the rapidity and intensity of the stinging in response to
the fly spray has only been matched by working a yard of the meanest bees
at the worst time.

Be Careful
Dennis