From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 08:56:23 -0500
"I think a very strong case can be made that on average one hive of bees per
acre is needed for most crops."

I would say without hesitation,  the number of bees matches well with the
number of required colonies.  We make up claims about "un pollinated
potential lost"  we just as well make claims about tons of honey missed"
Its wistful thinking.
The number and types of crops that require bees is well met. By economics,
not wishful thinking.  As the demand for crops grows, farmers recognize the
value of pollination and respond accordingly.  The market dictates that
value.  If beekeepers were getting rich, then supply would increase. (we
know that's not happening much)

In my area some guys pay 75.00 for hives for melons. Some pay none.  Should
everyone lease bees,  according to that theory,  the supply of melons would
increase , and accordingly the price for said melons would drop, Right now
melons can be bought farmside for around 1.00 each.

No the number of bees pollinating food is at a very comfortable equilibrium.

"Nobody ever talks about the package and nuc producers in all of this. They
must be sitting pretty well these days, with the price of nucs and packages
over $100. In 1968, a package sold for around $4 and you could get queens in
spring for a dollar."

I deal with a lot of these guys,  and your missing some details.   Packages
are around 70 in lots. The other 30 is middlemen.  And in 1968 a car war
1200,  and gas was around .08 a gallon.

While the package guys are making profits,  they are not anywhere near the
margins your dreaming.  High labor cost, transportation and queen production
are more expense than you think.
Once again look back at economics.  If the margin is so High everyone will
be involved and the price will drop.
I tell my customers who complain about the markup the same thing,  " if you
want to drive to GA and back,  you can save 25.00
If the price for a package gets too high,  you will work harder to keep your
bees alive.

Charles