From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 05:36:14 -0800
We have used Reflectix in cold and hot weather right over the bees. We still use it over our cell builders in Florida(right over the bees directly on the top bars),  as we start building cells in cold weather. We even staple it for an extra top cover (like a telescoping cover) and staple up a wrap to go around the double deeps until the weather warms up.

The bees will stick it down and they chew very little. We don't leave many bees in cold cold Michigan now, as they go to Florida and Cal. But we used to use it for wintering and just fold a corner back a bit to let the moisture out. There are usually some leaks anyway and no worries.

It comes in 16 in wide rolls too.

Here's some data:
Double Bubble Foil Both Sides
Reflectix® Insulation consists of two outer layers of aluminum foil reflect 97% of radiant heat. Each layer of foil is bonded to a tough layer of poly- ethylene for strength. Two inner layers of insulating bubbles resist conduc- tive heat flow while a center layer of polyethylene gives Reflectix® high reliability and strength.

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
St. Ambrose Meadery/Winery- sister business of Sleeping Bear
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebook for Kirk
Facebook for the Benzie Playboys