From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:36:45 +0100
From: "Keith Benson" "> Since this (glucose oxidase) is added by the bees,
and is not present in
> the nectar, I would ask you, how is it that you got from the observation
> that honey is used in the odd case in medicine and somehow transformed
> that into an explanation of the superiority of honey over sugar syrup?"

I didn't.  I have referred, repeatedly, to the lectures by 7 scientists
reprinted in Honey and Healing, which go way way beyond just refering to
liberation of hydrogen peroxide at the wound face and include comments on
floral honey having properties not found in sugar honey. Try Molan on page
19, reporting on the action of honey on peptic ulcers in rats
........".There was no protection from either agent if a sugar mixure
simulating honey was used in place of honey, showing that the protection is
due to a component of the honey other than the sugars".    The studies (far,
far more than reports of the odd use here and there) indicate (to me) that
there is scientific evidence that honey is more than sugar.  Whether that
means honey is superior to sugar in another situation is another step to
consider - it does not follow automatically from the fact of a difference,
but I will make a case that it may.

In another post I have appealed for help from a medical person to review
Honey and Healing for this list, as it is being continually undervalued
without inspection.  It says and explains for example (page 8) "Honey is
effective in clearing infection from wounds where other treatments have
failed.  One report (EFEM S E E (1988), Clinical observations on the wound
healing properties of honey , British Journal of Surgery 75: 629-681) gave
the results of treating with honey dressings 47 patients with wounds and
ulcers which had been treated for one month to two years with conventional
therapy (including antibiotics) with no sign of healing, or the wounds were
increasing in size".  This seems to answer your repeated assertions that
there are better and cheaper ways to heal. Honey and Healing is however
crammed with medical words, and I do hope we will be offered a summary for
beekeepers by someone qualified to understand it better than I.

 Keith said: "When I asked - Can you name a necessary substance (not sugar),
found in honey, but not syrup, that is not also found in far more massive
quantities in pollen?.    What you really should have said was, simply, no".
What I have said is that I am not a scientist, I can only quote others,
which I do, ad nuseam. If it was pollen that had the healing properties , it
would be mentioned in the reports - but I have seen no mention.  So I infer,
whatever is in honey that distinguishes it from sugar honey, that component
is not in pollen.  So, in the meantime before we have a qualified summary, I
do not feel I should 'just say NO'.

IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE?  PLEASE HELP SOMEONE.   WE ARE ALL DROWNING
.

Robin Dartington