Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2016 01:43:00 +0000
The third year after varroa arrived in my area of New Zealand 2004, I was picking up tiny autumn ( Fall ) swarms that were covered in varroa. At the time we presumed that they were from absconding feral hives because of varroa.  In those days we didn't have deformed wing virus so varroa mite numbers could become very high in a hive without killing it.  Highest recoded by Dr Mark Goodwin was 41,000 and the colony recovered after treatment.  We have fairly mild winters, lots of rain, frosts but bees can fly during the day when its fine and hives have a small amount of brood in them all year.

These days we have viruses  and thresholds are low - same as yours.

Frank Lindsay
Wellington NZ