From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 07:22:48 -0600
>     PMS looks somewhat similar to American Foulbrood, but dead
>     larvae do not
> exhibit ropiness, nor is there the "kick-in-the-face"  odor of
> foulbrood (though there may be a fainter odor of dead brood, and
> sick bees.

Nice post Dave.

To change the subject a little, I might add to that the fact that
when I was a bee inspector -- long before the days of mites -- I came
across  examples such as you describe that appeared initially to be
AFB, but were not.

If readers have what appears to be an AFB breakdown, and have
insufficient experience to be sure, or if the sample does not have
the distinctive qualities described, a lab analysis or expert second
opinion is in order before any drastic action is taken.

Of the two, the odor -- to me -- is the stronger signature. Ropiness
is a good indicator, but slightly less reliable.  Newbies often do
not know how ropey the goo should bee.  However if many hives are
involved, the nose soon looses its sensitivity, and some people
cannot recognise the smell.  Personally I can often walk into a
honeyhouse or warehouse and tell if there is any significant AFB in
the outfit.

As I recall, A sample should sting out a fair ways and neck down to
a fairly narrow elastic-looking string 1/2 to 3/4 inch long and not
be lumpy.

Others might want to add to this...

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>