From:
Mike Allsopp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 08:30:52 GMT+2
Greetings all

Stan Sandler asked about breeding bigger & better bees:

> Does anyone know whether someone has tried to breed bees selecting for
> larger size?  It seems to me that there might be numerous advantages this
> would confer:
> the bees could carry larger nectar and pollen and water loads;  they might
> be able to "buzz" pollinate blueberry blossom (maybe cranberry too, I don't
> know if bumblebees do that in cranberry);  they might be able to fly at
> lower temperature since their surface to volume ratio would decrease;  and
> they might even be more prone to chewing up varroa mites as their larger
> distant relatives the bumblebees apparently do.

The person to consult in this is probably Professor Jerzy Woyke of
Poland; it has been an interest of his for some while and he
presented a paper on precisely this theme at the Apimondia conference
at Lausanne.

Regards

Mike

Mike Allsopp                       Honeybee Research Unit
Tel: 021-8874690                   Plant Protection Research Institute
Fax: 021-8833285                   Agricultural Research Council
Internet: [log in to unmask]   Private Bag X5017, Stellenbosch,
Pmail: plant3/vredma               7599, South Africa