From:
Hans van der Meijs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:45:49 +0200
About the question why using linseed oil, I had to go back for the answer to
my old beekeeping teacher. He has used this for many years (decades) when
giving beekeeping courses. He told me that he had learned this trick from
his old beekeeping-teacher when he was doing his beekeeping teacher course.
He told me that this was a method which was also used by old time
beekeepers.

His and mine experience is that bees are less prone to sting than when you
work with with bare hands with nothing on it.

About why this is can be of discussion, because I could not find  (not yet)
any written or scientific evidence.

The advantages of using linseed oil. ( You must make your hands rather
greasy):

1. because your hands are greasy bees are not prone to sit on it as quickly.

2. propolis will stick less on your hands.

3. because linseed oil is of plant origion, the smell is probably more
pleasant for bees. It camouflages the smell of your hands.

Are there more beekeepers who have experience with using linseed oil? Or
using other substances?

Greetings   Hans van der Meijs