From:
joelmags <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 05:15:35 +0800
> A friend went through the exercise of being classified as an "Organic
Honey Producer".  One of the many requirements was to use foundation that
was from a registered organic source.  Where better than your own organic
Apiary! I posted a message to this list a few months ago inquiring about
Organic beekeeping procedures and if there actually are any beekeepers
trying to adhere to such procedures. Noone ever responded.
> Peter Borst

Hello Peter,

IFOAM, the International Association of Organic Associations and Movements,
visited me last year as part of their international conference tour. I am
also in the process of being certified as an "Organic Producer" of honey and
other bee products. Existing guidelines are promulgated by the OCIA or
Organic Certification International Association based in Ohio.

Essentially, being certified by IFOAM involves visits by a licensed
inspector who determines that:
1. That your bees forage in an area which is fairly isolated from air, water
and chemical pollution in the soil/plants.
2. That you employ practices that ensure that the honey and other bee
products that you produce are chemical free.

Joel F. Magsaysay
ILOG MARIA HONEYBEE FARMS
Cavite Highlands, Philippines
(063) 46-865-0018