Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:42:15 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I am wondering of those of you that give bee talks
 > what information do
 > you include in your talks?  How long do they take
 > and how much do you
 > charge per talk? >>

I don't usually give talks, but I have had my arm twisted to give one to the
Dorchester Horticultural Society next March.  They have asked for an hour.  I
have said that depends on how many questions they ask.  It may be 20 mins or
2 hours depending on the degree of interest.

 I am thinking of dividing it into 3 parts.  What bees do for them.  What
they can do for the bees; and then Bring on the Dancing Girls.  I shall
explain simply the von Frisch version of the bee dances and then get some of
them on their feet enacting them.  As I am told the average age is about 80 I
think the exercise will be necessary as the brain can absorb no more than the
backside.  What I shall NOT do is show colour slides.  They are too soporific.

I won't charge them as this is my first time and it is my learning curve, but
I shall suggest a donation of £25 to the Troy Trust a registered charity that
supports Bees for Development, which supports beekeepers in developing
countries.

Chris