From:
Lori Quillen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:01:35 EST
Hello!!

I was wondering if anyone knew the history behind FIFRA's inclusion of bee
protection on pesticide labels.  The language is vague- citing protection for
"bees."  I was wondering if this was intentionally done to include native
bees?  [If that is the case- I am sad that it did not cover "pollinators" in
general.]

I was hoping someone out there in Bee Land might know what/who prompted this
protective measure in the 70's.

I've gotten the impression that a lot of applicators still translate the word
"bees'" into "managed bees," and your past posts about Mosquito Spraying
support this notion.  This interpretation allows applicators to fall back on
beekeeper notification schemes, instead of more inclusive bee monitoring.
This hurts both managed and native bees, and seems to be in violation of
written law.

Any insight into he wording of this label law would be wonderful! Thanks!

Lori Quillen
Feel free to e-mail me direct at:  [log in to unmask]