From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:35:13 -0600
> Was home for lunch when the wife shouted something about a swarm! Sure
> enough this hive was boiling bees out ninety to nothing.
<snip>
> Today here comes another swarm of bees out. Or was it a mating flight?
> Lasted about 15 minutes and everybody started going back in to the hive.
<etc.>

I'm with you on this. I'd guess a mating swarm, but we'll really never know,
since I suspect that these things seem often to be decided on the wing.  What it
turns out to be may not be decided until they are all up there.  Or it may be
predetermined.  How can we know?

allen

http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
---
Sacred cows make the best hamburger. -- Mark Twain