From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:46:14 +1000
Jim wrote

> Above the plastic queen excluder, and in the 3rd (top) super the same
> brood pattern was found, except it contained less brood. This   was above
> two supers with honey.

Have a look at http://www.jstor.org/pss/51642  and
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2411310 and
http://www.culturaapicola.com.ar/apuntes/revistaselectronicas/Oldroyd/25.pdf

It will give you an idea as to what could be hapening.  We had one hive that
produced drone brood above the excluder.  It was one of the hives studied by
Ben Oldroyd.  It happens every so often and is not common in our case.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA