From:
peter dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:34:43 +0000
Bonjour from France,
Regarding George Imire's comments about G.M.crops etc..
Maybe in his view the best people to investigate are the prof. bee
scientists but those scientists  that I am in contact with value very
much the points of view raised by beekeepers. Often considering it moral
support - which they may not be receiving from the establishment.

Also letting "real beekeepers teach...... the beehavers...." is more
than a touch presumptuous.

Many a development has arisen from un-informed individuals - in some
quarters it maybe called "brain storming"
.
A problem with pure research is that it often results in the concerned
individuals being so tied up or aloft from the real pressures of hands
on reality that they can be floating above or around it.
The academic establishment need us as much as we need them - they need
our thoughts and comments and we need their results.

They are not in contact with the bees in real conditions for most of the
time and often do not have the same feel for the bees nor what is
happening in a hive.

For a researcher a bee's "tremble dance" is a sign of actual
intoxication to somebody actually working in the field - who's making
the mistake?

Keep the comments coming in as it is a sign of discussion that is
informing.

Regards to all

Peter