From:
"Joel W. Govostes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 09:49:00 -0500
Checked several colonies yesterday (temp. about 14 deg. F) by rapping and
listening through the hive walls.  Heard good buzzing in all except one.  I
thought it was dead, and briefly pried up the 2nd chamber to verify.  I was
greeted by a seething bubbling mass of bees whose cluster I had just
broken! I closed up the gap immediately, before they started out at me!

Anyway, don't presume they are dead if they are quiet!

The hives are not packed, entrances unrestricted, 2-3 stories, ventilation
provided between inner cover/crown boards and outer covers.  I never did
get the mouse-screens in, and by now it is far too late.  I just hope the
local rodents found other places to nest!

So, so far so good.  Interestingly, all of the clusters are still verrry
low, way down in the bottom stories. (That's probably why I didn't hear
anything in that hive.)  Fortunately, no frost evident under the lids. No
sign of dead bees either, piling up, or crawling from acarine.  Hopefully
things will continue along this way...

The winter here has averaged fairly mild so far, but we've a long way to go yet!

Freeville, NY