From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2016 07:10:58 -0700
> > I can't understand how one molecule of butyric acid hydrating can form
> two
> molecules of butyric acid.   Could you provide the formula for this
> please.

Butyric acid contains 4 carbon molecules in a line; the anhydride consists
of two of those molecules (for a total of 8 carbons), linked by an oxygen
atom taking the place of of the two OH groups of the original acid
molecules.  Incorporation of a molecule of water allows the OH groups to
reform, and the anhydride to split back into two molecules of butyric acid.

>I haven't used benzaldehyde much as it makes me so hungry I can't
concentrate.

Yes, I love the aroma of benzaldehyde too!  I like to pinch prune my peach
trees in springtime and smell the naturally-occuring benzaldehyde on my
fingers.

Yesterday we were using fume boards with butyric, and my neighbor came
over, licking her lips, and asked where the aroma of the fine gruyere
cheese was coming from.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA