Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 10:16:25 -0400
http://www.apinews.com/en/news/item/14511-new-zealand-unexplained-looses-are-not-ccd

Monday, 09 May 2011 14:06 Written by Horacio Mezziga

Midlands Apiaries manager James Callaghan said there was no evidence that colony collapse disorder had arrived in New Zealand despite anecdotal reports of hives in Poverty Bay and Canterbury sustaining significant bee losses. National Beekeepers Association joint chief executive Daniel Paul said there were isolated incidents where bee keepers had unexplained losses and there was an assumption there may be a correlation in the losses with pesticide use. He said the Environmental Risk Management Authority (ERMA) was in the throes of beginning to research the impact of pesticides on bees. "We are concerned, we don't fully understand these incidents, we want to get to the bottom of them," Mr Paul said. Mr Callaghan manages more than 3000 hives throughout Mid Canterbury, and said he had only a three per cent loss in bees among the hives, which was typical. He said one of the biggest issues beekeepers faced was treating hives for varroa mites.