From:
"Carl H. Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 12:44:04 -0500
 * Originally By: Int:[log in to unmask]
 * Originally To: Watchman
 * Originally Re: Making Splits
 * Original Date: 01-02-97  12:07
 * Original Area: E-mail
 * Forwarded by : Blue Wave/386 v2.20

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> Well, it's January now so I guess we frightened, apprehensive, new-bees
> can start some threads on spring management!  I am entering into my third
> season of beekeeping, and have two hives, both started last year from 5
> pound packages.  (I lost all ONE of my hives the year before to mites and
> ignorance).  The packages did very well last year, and seemed very strong
> going into winter.  I took my honey off early,  (1st week in  Sept.) and
> left the fall flow for the bees, I also treated with Apistan as soon as
> my honey was off and did not seem to have a great mite problem when I
> closed up for the winter.  Recent inspections on our recent 65-70 degree
> days have revealed a lot of activity, and the hives still seem fairly
> heavy with stores.
>
> My question is this.  I plan to split both of my hives this year to head
> of swarming and to increase my number of hives from two to four.  I know
> this is a VERY regional thing with times varying widely based on climate,
> but I would appreciate some tips from you on how to proceed, what to look
> for, and any horrifying/great success stories you may have.  I plan to
> review "The_Hive_and_the_Honeybee" for more tip/procedures, and would
> also appreciate more reading suggestions.
>
> Thank you very much, for myself, and other beginners who will benefit
> from this thread.
>
> Steve Creasy-
> Maryville, Tennessee, USA
> Prov. 24:13, 25:16
 Honey production is directly proportional to the availability of nectar
and honeybee population. Splitting your honeybee population will achieve
pricesely that, reduced honey production by a big factor! You have to
decide on what you want to have more hives or more honey! It might be
wiser for you to buy package honeybees (notice that I always use the
word honeybees as in contrast to just bees!) and go for the honey! (I
love puns!) Economics, dear friend!
Don't forget: If economics allow, come and visit the 54th AFC onvention
at Norfolk, Virgina (USA) 15-18 Jan 97.
HAPYY NEW YEAR. MERRY BEEKEEPING.
Dr. Pedro P. Rodriguez
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454
Phone:757-486-1573

... ISLAM:  If stuff happens, it's the will of Allah.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20