From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 14:10:15 -0500
On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Sid Pullinger wrote:

> So far it has behaved in a most irrational fashion in that it is
killing its
> host.  No self-respecting parasite should do this because it is in effect
> committing suicide.  No  doubt in time our bees will develop resistance,

Last year I was discussing this with someone at Cornell whos expertise is
host/parisite relationships. He said this is typical when a parisite
moves onto a new host specie. The new host has not devoloped mechanisims
to combat the new problem and there are many fatalities. Natural selection
then begins in two directions. Obviously the most suseptable hosts are
selected out. Also, the most virulent parisites are selected out because
they kill their host and therefore themselves. So in time we end up with
more resistant hosts and less virulent parisites. Eventually a balance
is reached and they can live together.>

  bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
  b                                                              b
  b    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   b
  b    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       b
  b    10220 Bradigan Rd.                                        b
  b    Forestville, N.Y. 14062                                   b
  b                                                              b
  b    Queens bred for tracheal mite resistance                  b
  b    Honey , Pollination                                       b
  b    Western New York Beekeepers Association                   b