From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 22:13:10 -0300
<snip>
>The non-reproductives (workers) and old queen perish soon after frost.

I find it curious that with their colony cycle nearing its end the yellow
jackets are working furiously.  They are robbing from any weak colonies or
late nucs that don't have entrances well reduced, and there are masses of
them around the honey house or any supers on the truck.  They vastly
outnumber the bald faced hornets now, and they also seem to be considerably
smaller than they were earlier in the season.

I wish the bees had their ability to work in poor weather.  They fly in the
rain, and they are flying from first light to late dusk.  Unlike bumblebees
they are roughly the same size as honeybees, so I wonder how they manage to
tolerate the cool temperatures.  Of course snow fleas are pretty small and
put all of them to shame!

Have a nice day,  Stan