Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 17:45:30 GMT
>>Honeybees kept on a farm live longer, perhaps three or
four months."  Ah, those poor urbanite bees!

This swarm was near E182nd St and Crotona Ave in East Tremont up in the Bronx in NYC.  This is only several hundred feet west of the sizable Bronx Park which is home to the famous and wonderful Bronx Zoo.  [I believe Jim Fisher keeps several hives at the Bronx Zoo.]  This section of the Bronx is quite green and I expect it provides very good forage for the bees with much less natural predation from skunks and such.

I did not realize the NYPD has a police officer, Tony Planakas, trained on removing swarms!  The swarm is headed to an organic farm in Connecticut. I guess organic is better...? ;-))

Waldemar