From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:44:21 -0800
>With both varroa pictures side by side the

> difference was so easily displayed even a cave man could see the
> difference.

Don't know that Denis would consider himself to be a cave man.  In the film,
he points out (and has to me personally) that it is extremely difficult to
tell the difference in the field.

Bob, in any species there is generally a fair degree of natural variation in
form (morphology).  There was simply no reason for anyone to suspect that
there was an unnamed new species of varroa.  Similar with Nosema ceranae--no
reason to suspect until we noted differences in seasonality, and used
genomics to confirm that it was a different species.  This is how science
works--I feel that you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill!

>  >Actually, jacobsoni is the problem in PNG, and may well spread to the
>> rest
>> of the world, as V destructor (Korean haplotype) did.
>
>  >Whatever!
> >( should I be terrified?)
> >Same things which kill varroa d.. kill varroa J.

So I don't understand your point at all, then.  You're the one who is making
a big deal about scientists not identifying destructor as a different
species.  Your comment above confirms that it wasn't a big deal.  What's
your point??????

> >One of these days Randy privately I will share the *untold* story of the
> way
> varroa entered the U.S.

I'd like that.  I'm astounded at the number of untold stories that I hear in
beekeeping!

>Varroa will live 7 days without a host , easily concealed

Believe me, Bob, I have made that point clear to those areas that do not yet
have varroa.  It is simply amazing how simply such "bioterrorism" can be
carried out to bring an entire industry to its knees for economic advantage
by the "terrorist."

Allow me to change the subject.  The readers of the List may have noticed
that Bob and I often engage is vigorous discussion.  There is only one
reason that I follow the List, and that is for me to learn things.  When I
post, it is generally to clarify points so that I can determine the validity
of information in posts by others, and to stimulate discussion of points.  I
learn a great deal from Bob, whose experience and desire to help the
industry are impeccable.

That said, Bob, I'm still really interested in your bleach sterilization of
combs.  I'm genuinely trying to learn from your experiences.  Did you
compare any colonies the same season that didn't get their combs bleached (a
control group)?  N ceranae levels can spontaneously vary so much from year
to year, and week to week, that unless a control group is compared, it is
really difficult to tell if the treatment was effective.

Randy Oliver
Firing up the 4x4 truck to move bees out of snowy Nevada tomorrow, when we
have good weather over the pass.