Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:15:47 -0400
I have a hive that I purchased a couple of months ago. I purchased it full
of bees so that I could get a good start on pollinating my orchard. I didn't
want to wait for a new package to arrive and not have enough bee to do the
same. The hive I purchased contained many bees and was setup as a deep on
the bottom with a medium on top. The hive itself needed a lot of attention
as the bottom board was falling out and the supers were in need of painting
and repairing. The frames need some work and the foundation isn't as nice
and drawn out as I would like to see however, the hive is really full of
bees for the purpose I was looking for. On a warm day I took all the frames
out and put them into new equipment, bottom board, top, inner the works. I
pulled out the apistan strips out since they had been in there for 45+ days
as the original owner stated. I used terramycin and fumibil in the hive
along with grease patties, pollin patties.
I wanted to get the medium off and use only two deep supers so, I used bee
go and moved the bees out of the medium into a new deep super on TOP of the
original. Now with a queen excluder under the medium the bees are busy
taking care of the broad in the medium. What I would like to do is clear out
all the honey/pollin out of the medium and use the frames for maybe a swam
box. Also, my concern is any AFB being in any of the frames so I am not sure
I want to use these in any other hive. What can I do if I want to clear out
the honey/pollin out of the medium frames so they are clean drawn
foundations?
Also, should I keep new deep super on top of the old one or underneath it?
Currently I have bees in the lower deep and bees in the medium with little
activity in the middle deep.
What actually  need is someone close to me to help me out however, I have no
bee inspector in this county and the closes one about 10 miles away didn't
seem interested in looking over my hives.  Here in Ohio I guess I am legally
registered as I sent in my apiary registration however there is no guarantee
to have an inspector check things over. I wonder where the 5 dollars went I
sent?
Ok.. enough for this message any assistance is appreciated.