From:
Becky S Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:20:04 -0500
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:12:12 GMT Computer Software Solutions Ltd
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
  <snip>

>Has anybody any personal experience of sound processing on a PC, or
>any
>contacts with an engineer involved in sound who may be able to suggest
>software to handle the above. (All of my computer experience is in the
>area
>of commercial software development, so sound processing is something I
>know
>nothing about at least not yet.)

Hi Tom,

You may be in luck...there are frequency analysis computer programs
available for use in industrial applications, and they are quite
sensitive.  They can be used for monitoring equipment, machinery, etc.,
for changes in their operating conditions via frequency response.
Changes in bearing noises, etc., are monitored in this fashion.

We have such a program here, only we use it for different purposes (long
story...voice analysis...).  This program is called SpectraPro and it's
not inexpensive...it was $1,000 U.S. when we purchased it 2 years ago.
But it does a fabulous job.
Also, we had to purchase a high-quality microphone and add an amplifier
to the line-in that goes into the computer (for our purposes).

This program charts frequencies very accurately and includes amplitude
readings, which would be used to determine increasing or decreasing
activity in any frequency range.

How would one keep an expensive microphone clean inside of a hive??
Perhaps a different type of sensing device could be used, such as a
transducer?
Some experimentation would be necessary with such a sensing device...

Thanks,
Al Boehm
Columbus, North Carolina USA

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]