From:
Ross Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:38:57 PST
Hi all,

Greetings from a very hot Melbourne (anyone been watching the
President s Cup?).

It s been over 100 for the last couple of days.  Finally cooled down to
a but more normal December temperature of 70.  Been amused to read of
everyone s discussion on how to keep their hives warm   if only we had
that problem!!

I have my own little problem, and would appreciate some assistance if
someone has had a similar situation.  (Remembering it s early summer
here)

I created a split by placing 3 frames of brood and bees in a 8 frame
single box last September (spring).  Seems to have been moving along
nicely.  They created a queen, made cells and capping cells and brood
hatching.  Haven t had the time to open it up for the last 6 weeks.

Following the hot weather for the last few days, hundreds of bees have
been clustering outside the entrance.  Thought that was OK, as it may
have been too hot inside for all the bees.  Now the cooler weather and
some rain has come, the cluster is still hanging around outside, with no
signs of going back inside.  As I work through the week and go to my
farm at the weekends at the moment, I m not home at the right time to
open the hive up to see what s going on inside.

I would like to move this hive as I probably have too many hives in my
back yard and it is still only a single.

I m only reasonably new to beekeeping, and would appreciate some advice
on:

-  How to get them inside in order to move the hive.

-  Will they be in a nasty frame of mind if I try to scrape them off the
sides into the box, and go back outside anyway?  Should I cover up
completely?

-  Are they outside, as there isn t enough room inside for them?

-  Are they getting ready to swarm?

-  Any other ideas?

Thanks very much for your answers in advance.  I really appreciate this
discussion group, and am always learning from it.

Ross