From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:45:07 -0500
PO Gustafsson wrote:

>  After reading this list for near 15 years I
> been close to logging off lately. But then I realized those things
> come and go. We all remember the FGMO discussion. Different this time
> is the amazing talent by some of the participants to mix fact and
> fiction into a stew so thick even the most determent opponent
> eventually gives up from exhaustion. Quite amusing sometimes... But
> this list is about bee biology. Pet theory has it's own list.
> Personally I would appreciate if those favoring pet theory was
> considering discussing their theories on the appropriate place, and
> let us here continue with what this list was created for.

As another 15 year plus member, I also was about to hang it up. But you
really cannot let bad information go unchecked. The list is still
"informed" beekeeping. Plus, sometimes there is gold in the dross, and
it should not be discarded but appreciated and examined (which is the
part that causes them problems).

I was strongly in the organic movement in Maine, but learned early that
there are really two organic movements. One is rational and based on
good science while the other is faith based. In Maine, science tends to
have the upper hand, but some times will be overruled by the zealots.
What has happened is money trumps faith. To survive in the marketplace,
there must be compromises and some of the organic practices are just as
chemical based as any commercial farmer. I see the same here on the
BeeL. The little hobby and fringe beekeepers are the defenders of
purity, while those who must make a living from it recognize the
realities of the marketplace.

So I do not mind the chatter, but I do mind a lack of facts to back up
posts. But then, anecdotal evidence always trumps the facts.

BTW, if you ever look me up in Maine, just look for a 25 year old
Adonis, winner of the Nobel prize, and NFL quarterback (I use the name
Tom Brady) .

After all, you read this on the BeeL so it must be true.

Bill Truesdell (who is actually 26, but everything else is true. Just
disregard the man behind the curtain.)
Bath, Maine