From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:42:02 -0600
> a study that was done on it on Prince Edward Island and in New Brunswick
> by Dick Rogers and Dr. Jim Kemp from UPEI. They could find no evidence
> that bees could get at it, so we were relieved.

> Results of the Imidacloprid Residue Study were presented to the
> Canadian Honey Council and the Canadian Association of Professional
> Apiculturists in Banff on January 30, 2002.

> Imidacloprid and its two main metabolites (hydroxy and olefin forms)
> were not found in clover flowers and wildflowers, bee collected pollen
> and nectar, and uncapped honey. Residues can be measured when they are
> at or above the detectable limit of 2 parts per billion.

> The study took place during the summer of 2001 in PEI and New
> Brunswick. It included sampling and analysis of over 3,800 soil cores,
> over 8,000 clover leaves, over 2,000 clover flowers, over 480 grams of
> wildflowers and over 6,000 honeybees.

And the admissibility of study was brought into serious doubt in the
question period almost immediately after presentation, when Dr. Bromenshenk
stood up and asked -- since apparently all the results had come back, rather
surprisingly, showing levels as "non-detectible" -- whether *any* of the
*many thousands* of samples sent to outside labs had been spiked with known
concentrations to test and verify that the lab actually did the analysis
properly.

The researchers blanched, and replied, "No".

Enough said.