From:
Kirk Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:28:47 -0500
Hi all,

Bob H. posted that some Georgia guys prepare their bees for almonds and send
them in singles to get more bees on a truck and limit the feed to get more
bees out. It is one strategy that can maximize profit and has merit.

We send our bees(doubles) out of Michigan in January heavy as hell for a
Michigan winter. We only get 380 on a truck...but we don't have to worry or
chase them around with feed. They come back ready to split into two. Some
years they are light and full of brood and some years heavy and full of
brood when they return. But in the final analysis, it is a program that
works very well for us. We also have big clusters and get the $$$$. It does
costs more per unit, but it costs less per unit in maintenance costs and
losses due to starvation, etc. Did I mention that we don't even go to
California to take care of them? We all go to Florida and raise bees and
make Tupelo honey and have a ball.

I always appreciate Bob's posts and his wisdom of experience in the
trenches. I just wanted to mention a different approach, and as often said
in beekeeping and religion, "there are many paths through the woods".

see ya,