From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:07:44 -0400
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:54:28 GMT, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"  i agree that miticides in trapped pollen indicate something very wrong."

in the region I live the use of shop rags is the defacto standard for large operations. the proof is
in the Mn and NoDak Dept of Ag enforcement files if some wishes to look. there is an annual
sweep that snags a couple of beekeepers each season that has gone on for many years now.

 James is writing from NYC so I don't see how he would be qualified to comment on what's going
on out in the Heartland of American beekeeping.

when bees come back here from almonds to a massive spring pollen flow you get an impressive
buildup.  the mite loads can be quite high for April or May. the large operations need to treat and
using shop rags is a big time and money saver. no need to go back and remove a strip and buying
by the jug is much cheaper then using labeled products.

so i'm not surprised at all that at least in spring that there is enough miticide residue in a brood
nest to impact incoming nectar or pollen.

in some enforcement sweeps, shop rags have been found with honey supers on. on occasion the
hives were quarrantined and samples taken and compared to EPA limits for a particular chem.
often the limits are below the EPA amount and the quarrantine is lifted and the honey eventually
enters the food stream.

in the ten step Alcohol Anonyomous program, overcoming denial of the problem is one of the first
steps. too bad the US beekeeping industry is for the most part in massive, massive denial.

how can we implement positive change in an industry that is in denial?  we have along road to
recovery IMO.