From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 09:20:28 -0700
>Could you please list specific miticides having the

> dual-usage you claim exists?

The two main chemicals used by commercial beeks are amitraz and
fluvalinate.  Fluvalinate is registered for hive use as Apistan,  amitraz in
not currently registered in this country, but was, under the name Miticur.

Amitraz--the most commonly used by commercial beeks.  Questions about its
synergistic effects.  "We have now discovered that mixtures of the
pesticide, amitraz, with synthetic pyrethroids have valuable and unexpected
properties. For example in the context of certain pests which attack crops
we have observed that the pesticidal activity of the mixtures is greater
than would be expected and synergism is exhibited."
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4517201.html

Amitraz or BAAM is an insecticide and acaricide used primarily to
control the pear psylla on Oregon pear crops. It also is used to control
whiteflies and mites on cotton and pear crops; livestock ticks, lice, and
mange mites on beef and dairy cattle and swine; and ticks on dogs.
Formulations include a wettable powder, emulsifiable concentrate, soluble
concentrate/liquid, and impregnated collar (for dogs).

Fluvalinate--used to control some 30 pests
http://www.kellysolutions.com/NY/showpests.asp?Basic_EPA_ID=2724%2D478&Product_Name=MAVRIK+AQUAFLOW+INSECTICIDE%2FMITICIDE

Coumaphos--used as sheep and cattle dip

The active ingredient in Hivastan is an ag chem (I choose not to specify
here)

There are several other ag miticides used off label by commercial beeks.  I
also choose not to list here.

Randy Oliver